PDA

View Full Version : Valve Stems

crunch1
05-19-2008, 06:32 PM
While checking the air pressure in the tires, I found one a little low. When I pushed on the valve stem it would create quite a leak. First thought was I had a bad stem, After a closer look, I found the stem nut was backed off several turns. I checked the rest and found I could put 2 or 3 turns easily on each, but then they were tight.
This is my first time out this year, and had no problems with tire pressure last year.
Any one else ever had this problem ? This is the 1st time I have ever run into this in all the years I've owned a camper.

Sorry about so many posts, I was getting a server down msg.

Motor31
05-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Send the admin a note, he can remove the duplicate posts for you.

2blackdogs
05-21-2008, 09:55 AM
A word of caution on tightening the little nut. Do not tighten it too much as this will pull the stem rubber on the inside of the wheel through the hole on it and will deflate the tire. How do I know this ?
I have had several of the little nuts come loose and I woud always tighten them up until the one time when I tighten too much and the air came hissing out. I had to remove the tire and take it to a tire shop and have a new stem installed.
After that I bought a bottle of MED strength Loctite and put a drop on each nut and tightened lightly.
All seems OK now but if I did not have the Pressure Pro Monitors on, the little nuts would have been lost going down the road.
Bob