PDA

View Full Version : Honda 2000 handles..ideas?

berghild
05-18-2008, 06:32 PM
our Honda 2000 was stolen in Baja last winter (we didn't lock it up) and when we returned this Spring the local police in Bahia de Los Angeles told us that they had found it and returned it to us. We were Thrilled! We put it in the shop for clean-up and check up. THe guys told us we had a nice cable wrapped through the handles but all the thief would have to do is saw right through the handle. CRIPES! that's the first time that I have heard of that....ever since then I have been trying to think of some kind of metal opr something that we could wrap around the handle to prevent this.....any ideas?

ponch
05-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Howard there is someone on here that built diamond plate boxes on ea side of his bed to put both of his in.
They slid out for use but when not being used were locked up.
You will have to do a search to find it through.
He had picture as well. Very impressive.

Motor31
05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Go to the hardware store and buy a couple lengths of chain. One length wraps around the generator vertically and the other wraps horizontally. Use a couple bolts (or locks) to hold the chains together where they cross and tighten them up solid. Then you use the crossed chains to connect another chain or cable to the trailer. The eliminates the handle as the security connection and means the thief has to bring more than a small saw to cut the cable or chain. Nothing is thief proof for a determined one but if you make it too hard they move on to an easy theft.

I suggested chains as they can be cut to length easily at the store and you don't need to swage a loop to hook the lock or bolts through.

2blackdogs
05-20-2008, 08:54 AM
At the shop where I used to work we made up cable assemblies for lots of folks that had chains securing their possesions.
Chains can be cut with bolt cutters easily unless you get a grade 7 or 8 chain. It is impossible to cut a cable with a bolt cutter, all it does is squash the cable but does not cut it.
Before I retired I had the shop make me several different lengths of plastic coated assemblies and I use them all the time.
Bob