PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump

RonS
04-18-2008, 08:39 AM
I posted this question before but dont know where it went. Anyway I want to remove and check the small filter on the 5900 Surflo water pump, but I dont know to get it apart. I called cust svc and they said just unscrew it. Mine sure is tight and I dont know how much pressure it will take before the clear plastic breaks. Has anyone taken thiers apart and how?? THANKS!

RonS
04-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Looks like no one has had to remove the small filter before the pump. I need to take mine off so will use bigger hammer.

Carny Bill
04-19-2008, 12:10 PM
I have cleaned mine several times....it does indeed unscrew, but yes it is a tight one to get off every time.....I used an adjustable oil filter wrench like u buy at harbor freight.....

igotjam
04-19-2008, 12:10 PM
This likely won't help but the piping does unscrew from the pump and T before the filter. This will get the whole filter assembly off but doesn't get the clear part unscrewed. It might give you enough room to leverage it when disconnected from the pump and piping though?

Okie
04-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Slightly off the thread but on the input line to the pump, mine has a "T" and a valve that is on a line going to the bottom of the basement but not out. Is that some sort of drain and should it be going out through the basement floor like the other drains. I am assuming it is a drain and if so, for what?

Okie

Motor31
04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
FWIW you can go to a scuba diving store and purchase food grade sililcone grease in a small container. I use it on the "O" ring on the water filter assembly and as thread lubricant on plastic parts. It won't hurt the plastic, contaminate the water system, cause you to glow in the dark or make your hair grow back. It will make it easier to open the component again and keeps the "O" ring from tearing.

The stuff costs about $3 to $5 but it goes a LONG way. The same container has lasted me more than 4 years and there is plenty left.

igotjam
04-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Okie
I think the hose you refer to is for winterizing. You stick it in the jug of antifreeze. Which valves you turn is a mystery......

Okie
04-20-2008, 03:51 PM
That makes sense, the pump draws it out and send it through the system. Thanks for the info, but I winterize my unit by taking it to south Florida and south Texas. I think it costs more than antifreeze but it feels a lot better.

Okie